Don't forget we are also on twitter

Follow us for news from library staff.
http://www.twitter.com/wingecarribee

Friday, June 12, 2009

Listen by Kate Veitch

“Daphne. That smell is the loveliest thing … and if you’ve got a good bush growing, you never want to shift it, you know that don’t you darl?”
“Yeah, I’ve heard that “ Olivia said. “Daphne doesn’t like to be moved”.
“Too right,” Alex said. “I made that mistake once, you know. I made that mistake with a young lady. I moved her and I thought she was in the right spot, I thought she was happy, but no. She just couldn’t adjust to the new place. Roots just didn’t take.”
That’s the only time Alex spoke of his former wife, Rosemarie, the mother of his four children, who did the unspeakable and left them all… on Christmas Eve in 1967. Forty years later the children, all coping with her disappearance in different ways, are adults when they find out she is still alive.
Set in Australia, this novel explores families and their secrets, life’s challenges and the undeniable love that holds everything together.
I laughed, I cried, and being a child of this era, I understood. This is a great read.
Helen

No comments: