Don't forget we are also on twitter

Follow us for news from library staff.
http://www.twitter.com/wingecarribee

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Destroyed by Jane Sterne

“Jackie was not the sort of game any child would have wanted to play.” These are the words of Jayne Sterne. Now a woman, Jayne had suffered many frightful events including aggravated sexual assault, endured and witnessed violence, peer pressure, and bullying as both a child and as a young adult.
At about the age of nine, Jayne and her family had moved locations to live with a man, Graham. Little to one’s acknowledgement, he was the devil in disguise. Late one night, Graham sneaked into Jayne’s room and sexually assaulted her. It was only a few weeks after this non-repetitive incident that Jayne’s family had moved, yet once again, to another house. It was here where the full extent of Graham’s abuse had taken place.
Unfortunately, this is not the only thing that Jayne had encountered. She battled against abuse from her first partner, John, who beat her so badly that she“...fell on the floor choking on [her] own blood.” While her older brother, Stuart, was coming to grips with his past anger issues, thus becoming intolerable to his future wives; leading to a shock ending!
“Destroyed” is an incredible recount of an amazing girl’s journey throughout her early to mid life. And although I would like to suggest this book to anybody who enjoys a good read, I understand that it is not everybody’s ‘cup of tea’. Furthermore, I must make note that there are so many more themes, twists and turns and although I have discussed bits and pieces, this does not give justice to the style of writing Jayne Sterne has conceded. In saying this, as a conclusion, you must read the book to feel the full extent of awe that I had experienced once in completion of reading the novel. Furthermore, the way in which this novel has been written leaves one with such images that it comes to grips with you, and makes you realise exactly what type of lives some people are leading.
Sara

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Words cannot express my gratitude to you, your review on my story Destroyed has overwhelmed me.
I am truly grateful to you, for taking time out of your life to read my story, and even more so for taking time to write such an amazing review on my book.
kind regards Jayne Sterne ( Author of Destroyed )

Anonymous said...

i have just finished reading destroyed it was a very disturbing story yet i could not put it down..i myself have suffered domestic violence and the suicide of two partners but what jayne went through was so cruel and sad it actually made me cry but she came through it, which will give hope to many people myself included.. i wish her happiness for the rest of her life..

Anonymous said...

This is one of the only books that I have read cover to cover in less than 24 hours this book really touched my heart. I have never suffered any sort of domestic violence and can not being to feel what is must be like to be on the receiving end of such suffering. My heart goes out to you Jayne for all that you have had to endure in your life; I just hope that you have finally pressed charges against that monster.

Anonymous said...

I am currently reading the book and i find it difficult to put down - last night i read it until 4am! As i read through the chapters on the game 'Jackie' i found myself getting irritated that no family member had come home earlier to find what Graham was doing - then when Stuart finally walked in to witness just a small part of his abuse i sighed a breath of relief however if only he knew more of what that evil man was doing. I love the way the book is written and the suspense it holds. All the best to Jane Sterne and I wish you all the happiness in the world x

Blog Archive